20 Moroccan pilgrims die during Hajj in Saudi Arabia


  • World
  • Saturday, 22 Jun 2024

RABAT, June 21 (Xinhua) -- Moroccan authorities said Friday that 20 pilgrims from Morocco have died during this year's Hajj rituals in Saudi Arabia.

The Ministry of Endowments and Islamic Affairs said in a statement that those deaths are "natural deaths," noting that 15 percent of Moroccan pilgrims this year are over 80 years old.

"There were no 'unusual' deaths among Moroccan pilgrims during the current Hajj season," said the statement, adding that the figure is similar to last year's Hajj season.

Over the past 20 years, the annual number of deaths among Moroccan pilgrims has ranged between 30 and 45.

According to an estimate issued before the Hajj, 34,000 Moroccan pilgrims participated in this annual religious event.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In World

What to do if your computer is affected by the global IT outage
Exclusive-US-Japan Patriot missile production plan hits Boeing component roadblock
Panama to start deporting migrants from Darien Gap within months
Trump says he had 'very good call' with Ukraine's Zelenskiy, pledges to end war
1st LD: U.S.-China sister cities summit held in U.S. state of Washington
Roundup: Multiple U.S. airlines see massive delays, cancellations amid global IT outage
Global tech outage disrupts Middle East air traffic
Tesla sales stumble in California as competition heats up
Poliovirus detected in Gaza, but no paralytic cases reported so far: UN
U.S.-China sister cities summit held in U.S. state of Washington

Others Also Read