Nigerian military vows to avenge killing of 5 soldiers by outlawed group


ABUJA, May 31 (Xinhua) -- Nigerian military on Friday vowed to respond fiercely to the recent killing of at least five soldiers by suspected members of an outlawed group in the country's southeast region.

The five soldiers, murdered Wednesday following an ambush by the outlawed Indigenous People Of Biafra at a military checkpoint in the Aba town of the southern state of Abia, were among troops deployed to enforce peace in the area and protect citizens, said Edward Buba, a military spokesman, in a statement on Friday.

In response to that "dastardly" act, the military would be "fierce" while bringing overwhelming pressure on the group "to ensure their total defeat," the statement said.

The suspected gunmen who carried out the attack rode in three tinted sports utility vehicles, surrounded the military checkpoint, and sprang a surprise attack on the troops, killing at least five soldiers, the statement noted.

The military described the death of the soldiers as "a terrible loss," saying that it has commenced an investigation into the attack.

"Accordingly, the military must retaliate against this dastardly act against troops," the statement added.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

India, Brazil sign mining pact as Modi targets $20 billion trade in five years
With tariffs ruling, Supreme Court reasserts its power to check Trump
Exclusive-Cuban security forces exit Venezuela as US pressure mounts
France's Macron calls for calm ahead of march for far-right activist killed last week
Two soldiers, five militants killed in Bannu, Pakistan army says
Ukrainians, scattered across Europe, trapped in limbo by war
Macron says US Supreme Court tariff ruling shows it is good to have counterweights to power in democracies
Analysis-Trump pushes US toward war with Iran as advisers urge focus on economy
Trump meets Vietnam leader, vows to remove Hanoi from restricted lists
Analysis-Supreme Court checks Trump's expansive view of executive power

Others Also Read