Russia's Wagner group appears to do U-turn on Bakhmut withdrawal


Ukrainian servicemen of the 10th Mountain Assault Brigade 'Edelweiss' fire a D-30 howitzer towards Russian troops at a position in a front line, amid Russia’s attack on Ukraine, near the town of Soledar, Donetsk region, Ukraine May 6, 2023. REUTERS/Sofiia Gatilova

(Reuters) -Russia's Wagner mercenary group appeared on Sunday to ditch plans to withdraw from Bakhmut in eastern Ukraine, saying they had been promised more arms by Moscow and suggesting they may keep up their assault on what Russia sees as a stepping stone to other cities in the Donbas region.

Ukraine's general in charge of the defence of the besieged city said late on Sunday that Russia had intensified shelling, hoping to take Bakhmut by Tuesday, but he vowed to do everything to prevent it. May 9 is Victory Day in Russia, marking the anniversary of the defeat of Nazi Germany in World War Two.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Turkish lawmakers to vote on report advancing PKK peace process
Foreign spies can see Telegram messages sent by Russian soldiers, Ifax cites minister
Ukraine-Russia peace talks enter second day in Geneva with pressure on Kyiv
ECB President Lagarde plans to quit before Macron's term ends, FT reports
Nordic region seeks deeper ties with Greenland after Trump threats
Australia to ban citizen from returning to country under rarely-used terror laws
South Korea says civilians sent drones to North Korea four times, harming ties
Philippine Vice President Duterte to run for president in 2028 elections
Glove found near Nancy Guthrie's home fails to produce DNA match
Jose Jeri, Peru's ousted president, was one of the world's youngest heads of state

Others Also Read