Five African migrants die, 28 missing after boat sinks off Tunisia


FILE PHOTO: Tunisia's President Kais Saied gives a speech at the government's swearing-in ceremony at the Carthage Palace outside the capital Tunis, Tunisia February 27, 2020. Fethi Belaid/Pool via REUTERS/File Photo

TUNIS (Reuters) - At least five African migrants died and another 28 were missing after a boat sank off Tunisia, as they tried to cross the Mediterranean to Italy, an official of a local rights group said.

Romadan Ben Omar, the official in the Tunisian Forum for Social and Economic Rights, said that coast guard rescued five migrants‮ ‬who had been on board the boat that sank off the coast of the southern city of Sfax, and that they were in a bad psychological condition.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Ukrainians mourn missing homes and loved ones after four years of war
Exclusive-Ukraine's 2026 defence exports could hit 'several billion dollars', official says
South Korea's ex-President Yoon apologises after life sentence over martial law
Christine Lagarde intends to complete her term at ECB, she tells WSJ
Banner of Donald Trump unfurled at Justice Department headquarters
The former Prince Andrew went from helicopter pilot to trade envoy to royal pariah
Argentina's lower house passes labor reform, sends to Senate for final vote
Alberta plans referendum to wrest control over immigration from Canadian government
How Reuters captured the photo of former Prince Andrew leaving custody
New Mexico reopens investigation of Epstein ranch

Others Also Read