Trafficker suspect caught in Austria after Italy shipwreck disaster


FILE PHOTO: A piece of the boat and a piece of clothing from the deadly migrant shipwreck are seen in Steccato di Cutro near Crotone, Italy, February 28, 2023. REUTERS/Remo Casilli

ROME (Reuters) - A fourth suspected human trafficker has been arrested in connection with a shipwreck off southern Italy last month in which at least 72 people died, an Italian police official said on Wednesday.

The suspect, a 27-year-old Turkish national, was caught in Austria on Tuesday evening after managing to escape the scene of the disaster in the early hours of Feb. 26, the official said, giving no further information.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Alberta plans referendum to wrest control over immigration from Canadian government
How Reuters captured the photo of former Prince Andrew leaving custody
New Mexico reopens investigation of Epstein ranch
Venezuela legislature passes limited amnesty bill critiqued by rights groups
North Korea's Kim opens 9th Party Congress citing economic achievements
1st LD Writethru: U.S. trade deficit in goods hits record high in 2025
Share of cashless payments in Russia hits 88 pct in 2025
Britain, Canada to meet in Olympic men's curling final
Day 13 Roundup: China's Ning wins 1,500m speed skating with Olympic record, skimo debuts at Milan-Cortina
Hungary marks 100th birthday of composer Gyorgy Kurtag

Others Also Read