Uganda announces withdrawal of troops from east Congo


FILE PHOTO: Congolese civilians carry their belongings after fleeing from the renewed fighting between the assailants and army troops of the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda, at the Bunagana border crossing point in Western Uganda November 10, 2021. REUTERS/Abubaker Lubowa

KAMPALA (Reuters) -Uganda will pull troops from neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo in two weeks, the military said on Tuesday, after a joint operation against Islamist insurgents since late last year.

President Yoweri Museveni's government sent hundreds of soldiers into east Congo in December to join the Congolese military in an assault on the bases of the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF).

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

First foot-and-mouth case confirmed in Cyprus gov't-controlled areas, farm sealed
Graft allegations spark clashes in Albania between police and protesters
Attackers kill at least 50, abduct women and children in Nigeria's Zamfara state
Iran prepares counterproposal as Trump weighs strikes
Trump orders temporary 10% global tariff to replace duties struck down by US Supreme Court
Urgent: Trump says he will sign order imposing 10 pct global tariff
UK gov't considers removing Andrew from royal line of succession: media
Flash: Trump says he will sign order imposing 10 pct global tariff
Rijpma-de Jong wins women's 1,500m gold at Milan-Cortina Winter Games
Flash: Trump threatens alternatives to tariffs after Supreme Court ruling

Others Also Read