No punishment for U.S. troops involved in deadly Kabul strike- Pentagon


FILE PHOTO: The Pentagon building is seen in Arlington, Virginia, U.S. October 9, 2020. REUTERS/Carlos Barria/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Pentagon said on Monday that no U.S. military personnel would be held accountable for an August drone strike in Kabul that killed 10 civilians, including seven children.

An earlier investigation by the Air Force inspector general said the Aug. 29 strike was caused by execution errors, interpreting information that supported certain viewpoints, and communication breakdowns. The military previously called the strike a "tragic mistake."

Get 20% OFF The Star Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

RM 11.12/month

Billed as RM 11.12 for the 1st month, RM 13.90 thereafter.

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 9.87/month

Billed as RM 118.40 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Myanmar military offensive targets land for Russia-backed port project
Pakistan ex-PM Imran Khan taken back to prison from hospital, party spokesman says
Australia investigates fourth close call at Sydney airport in less than a month
Hormuz ship crossings hover in single digits, data shows
FBI raids Democrat Swalwell's home in sexual-misconduct investigation, source says
Trump, former fixer Michael Cohen have warm interview at political low point for president
Man arrested after allegedly setting fire to home, killing 3 relatives in U.S. California
Portugal designates priority areas for solar, wind energy projects
Mariana, 18 more Brazil cities join Vale-BHP dam collapse compensation deal
Egyptian expat remittances hit record 47.3 bln USD in FY 2025-2026

Others Also Read