Deadly shooting rocks Beirut as tensions over blast probe erupt


FILE PHOTO: A general view shows the site of the 2020 Beirut port explosion, Lebanon October 13, 2021. The Arabic reads: 'The right to justice'. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir

BEIRUT (Reuters) -Tensions over a probe into last year's massive blast in Beirut burst into the worst street violence in more than a decade on Thursday, with six Shi'ites shot dead and gun battles reviving memories of the country's 1975-90 civil war.

Bullets bounced off buildings and people ran for cover during bursts of gunfire which lasted several hours on what was once a frontline in the war. At one school, teachers instructed infant children to lie face down on the ground with their hands on their heads, a Reuters witness said.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Trump meets Vietnam leader, vows to remove Hanoi from restricted lists
Analysis-Supreme Court checks Trump's expansive view of executive power
Trump furious after Supreme Court upends his global tariffs, imposes new 10% levy
US says it struck vessel in the eastern Pacific, killing three men
1st LD: Trump says he will sign order imposing 10 pct global tariff
Tajikistan's population reaches 10.72 million
Switzerland takes men's curling bronze, Sweden, Switzerland set up women's final at Milan-Cortina
Coventry hails Milan-Cortina Games as 'truly successful'
Medal table at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on February 20
U.S. stocks close higher

Others Also Read