Dubai Expo revises worker fatalities to six after including COVID-related deaths


FILE PHOTO: Workers walk at the Expo 2020 site ahead of the opening ceremony in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, September 30, 2021. REUTERS/Rula Rouhana

DUBAI (Reuters) -Expo 2020 Dubai, a major world fair that opened last week, on Sunday said three workers on the project had died after contracting COVID-19, revising up the total number of worker fatalities since 2015 to six.

The organiser had for the first time on Saturday disclosed three work-related deaths and 72 serious injuries among 200,000 workers during construction of the site, defending the accident rate as less than half of that of building work in Britain.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

French soldier dies after being accidentally shot in head during drunken evening in barracks
U.S. Supreme Court tariff ruling could curb Trump's "unlimited, arbitrary tariffs": senior EP official
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's ex-wife 'Fergie' also undone by Epstein ties
Chinese couple makes Milan-Cortina history with dual aerials golds (updated)
Food aid in Somalia could halt within weeks due to funding shortages, WFP warns
EAC vows stronger efforts to ease regional trade obstacles
Zambia raises concerns in growing illegal pangolins trade
Zambian expert says China's zero-tariff policy reinforces South-South cooperation
5 trapped miners presumed dead after mud rush at S. African mine
Norway's Dale-Skjevdal strikes gold in Olympic biathlon mass start

Others Also Read