War in Yemen is 'back in full force,' says U.N. mediator


NEW YORK (Reuters) - The war in Yemen is "back in full force," the United Nations mediator told the Security Council on Tuesday amid renewed attempts to get the warring parties to talk and U.N. warnings that the country is spiralling toward a massive famine.

Martin Griffiths told the council that there had been a dramatic deterioration in the more than six-year-long war with a Houthi offensive on Marib - the Yemeni government's last northern stronghold - putting millions of civilians at risk.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

How Reuters captured the photo of former Prince Andrew leaving custody
New Mexico reopens investigation of Epstein ranch
Venezuela legislature passes limited amnesty bill critiqued by rights groups
North Korea's Kim opens 9th Party Congress citing economic achievements
1st LD Writethru: U.S. trade deficit in goods hits record high in 2025
Share of cashless payments in Russia hits 88 pct in 2025
Britain, Canada to meet in Olympic men's curling final
Day 13 Roundup: China's Ning wins 1,500m speed skating with Olympic record, skimo debuts at Milan-Cortina
Hungary marks 100th birthday of composer Gyorgy Kurtag
Medal table at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on February 19

Others Also Read