RECENTLY, a claim went viral on social media claiming that a warning had been issued that the Kenyir Dam could burst. Is this claim true?
In a statement on its official Facebook page on Tuesday (Oct 4), Tenaga Nasional Berhad said that the public should not believe the viral message or spread it as it could cause panic.
"The Kenyir Dam is still in a safe state and TNB constantly monitors the water level of the dam," it said.
It cited a National Disaster Management Agency (Nadma) statement issued on Sunday (Oct 2) which stated that the news went viral following a Sept 26-29 exercise for an emergency plan involving the Kenyir Dam.
"The Terengganu Disaster Management Committee, TNB and Nadma all participated in the drill to streamline and improve the readiness of all agencies and the public to understand what needs to be done, considering the monsoon season in November," said TNB.