Given a clean bill of health, the 237 citizens and one American spouse of an Indonesian national from Wuhan and other cities in China have finally been released from a 14-day quarantine in Natuna, Riau Islands.
Forty-two members of the evacuation team and five Indonesian Embassy staffers from Beijing who assisted the operation were also released from quarantine on Saturday.
All 285 people have been declared healthy after testing negative for Covid-19 (novel coronavirus).
The government evacuated 243 people – comprising 237 Indonesian nationals, a foreigner and five embassy staffers – on Feb 2 from Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak, as well as other cities in Hubei province following the emergence of the virus.
The evacuees, evacuation team and all support staff were airlifted to Hang Nadim Airport in Batam and then immediately transported to Natuna Island for quarantining.
Joint Defence Area Command I (Kogabwilhan I) commander Rear Adm Yudo Margono, who led the humanitarian mission, said all evacuees, as well as the evacuation team and embassy officials involved in the effort, had been released and were heading back to their hometowns.
“The Health Minister (Terawan Agus Putranto) will accompany the people flying to Jakarta, while I am staying here to meet with the local residents as President (Joko Widodo) ordered, ” Coordinating Human Development and Culture Minister Muhadjir Effendy said on Saturday.
The evacuees boarded two Boeing planes and a Hercules aircraft operated by the Indonesian Air Force and were flown to Halim Perdanakusuma Air Base in Jakarta.
National Disaster Mitigation Agency head Doni Monardo said the evacuees were each provided one million rupiah (RM300) in travel allowance as well as plane tickets to their hometowns.
Many were welcomed home by local officials, including East Kalimantan Governor Isran Noor, who flew out to Jakarta to escort evacuees from the province on the last leg of their journey.
“The most important thing is that they can return home safely, ” said Doni.
The health agencies in their place of origin will continue to monitor the evacuees after they return home.
“The surveillance is our responsibility. If they get sick after they have returned to their hometowns, we can [examine] them immediately to see if they are infected with the coronavirus, ” he said.
The World Health Organization (WHO) Representative to Indonesia, Navaratnasamy Paranietharan, congratulated Indonesia on the evacuation as a “smart move” and for keeping the evacuees “safe for 14 days”.
Paranietharan also said that the evacuees could freely mingle in their communities once they got home. “They’re perfectly fine; there’s no need to worry about them, ” he said during a ceremony marking the evacuees’ release in Natuna.The government initially planned to evacuate 245 people from Hubei, but four people decided to remain in China. Three others were sick at the time of departure, and did not have clearance from the Chinese government to leave the country. — The Jakarta Post/ANN
Did you find this article insightful?