Penang City Council sets guidelines on transfer of development rights in George Town heritage site


GEORGE TOWN: The Penang Island City Council (MBPP) has approved guidelines allowing the transfer of development rights (TDR) for buildings within the George Town UNESCO World Heritage Site under its jurisdiction.

MBPP mayor Datuk A. Rajendran said the guidelines were introduced to regulate the transfer of development rights and prevent excessive development from being concentrated at a single receiving site.

He said the new guidelines capped the maximum transfer of development rights at a plot ratio of two.

“Previously, there was no limit on the amount of development rights that could be accepted at the new development site. Now, we have set a maximum of two plot ratios.

“This does not mean every applicant can automatically transfer a plot ratio of two. They may transfer 1.0, 0.5 sqft or another amount, depending on the circumstances,” he said during the city council’s full board meeting on Friday (Aug 21)

Rajendran said the amount transferable would depend on factors including the size and number of properties owned in the George Town heritage site, as plot ratio was directly related to the land area.

He said the TDR mechanism was particularly relevant to properties within the George Town heritage site where development was subject to height and other restrictions.

“We allow the development potential to be transferred to another suitable site, subject to the guidelines and other requirements,” he said.

Rajendran said the receiving site would still be required to comply with all relevant planning and technical requirements, including a Traffic Impact Assessment (TIA), Social Impact Assessment (SIA), structural considerations, surrounding infrastructure and height restrictions.

“Even if they transfer the development rights, it is not an automatic approval. They still have to comply with the other requirements.

“The purpose is to reduce the impact on the receiving area and ensure that development is not concentrated in one location,” he said.

Rajendran said TDR under the guidelines was applicable to the relevant areas within the George Town World Heritage Site, including the core and buffer zones, subject to the applicable planning requirements.

He added that the guidelines covered both commercial and mixed developments, as well as residential development, subject to the relevant conditions at the new development site areas.

Currently, all properties within the George Town UNESCO World Heritage Site are eligible under the TDR guidelines, regardless of whether they are used for residential or commercial purposes.

Rajendran stressed that a plot ratio of two was the maximum allowed to be accepted at the receiving new development site and did not mean all applicants would qualify for the full amount.

“If you have only two or three properties, the transferable plot ratio could be 0.2 or 0.3, for example. It depends on the land area and the circumstances,” he said.

He said the TDR guidelines were part of MBPP's efforts to balance the preservation of George Town's World Heritage Site with the need to manage development potential in a sustainable manner.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Coffee Terrace brings back beloved dinner buffet with ‘The Nostalgic Spread’
TH RCI: Former TH CEO remanded for seven days
TH RCI probe: Ex-CEO arrives in court for remand proceedings
National Day 2026: Over 80,000 expected to flood Dataran Putrajaya
GOF busts illegal sand mining in three states with seizures valued at RM13.26mil
Immigration busts syndicate linked to blacklisted Chinese nationals, love scams
Dengue cases surge 56.2% nationwide, 55 deaths recorded
Haze: Air quality in Serian at 'very unhealthy' level, eight other areas in S'wak at 'unhealthy' API
Two cyclists die after being hit by vehicle in Putrajaya, say cops
Three dead, one severely burnt in early morning house fire in Menggatal

Others Also Read