197,323 pupils in 10 districts affected as air quality hits unhealthy levels
KUCHING: Schools across 10 districts in Sarawak have been ordered to close temporarily as transboundary haze continues to deteriorate air quality across the state.
The state Education Department announced a two-day closure for schools in Kuching, Padawan, Bau, Lundu, Samarahan, Simunjan, Serian, Sri Aman, Lubok Antu and Betong.
The closure affects 509 primary schools, involving 107,590 pupils and 82 secondary schools with 89,733 students.
The department said the temporary closure took effect yesterday as a precautionary measure to protect the safety, health and welfare of students and school staff from the risk of exposure to unhealthy air.
“Home-based teaching and learning (PdPR) will be implemented during the closure to ensure lessons continue uninterrupted,” the department said.
It added that updates on the closure and reopening of schools will be notified through its official channels.
According to the National Haze Action Plan, schools, kindergartens and childcare centres must close when the Air Pollutant Index (API) exceeds 200, which is categorised as “very unhealthy”.
This is the second time in two weeks that schools in Sarawak have been closed due to the haze.
Last week, schools in Serian were closed for three days when the API briefly exceeded 200.
As of 5pm yesterday, the Air Pollutant Index (API) in Serian breached the “very unhealthy” threshold again, hitting a reading of 204.
This was followed by Kuching at 195, Samarahan (182), Sri Aman (179), Sarikei (158) and Sibu (152).
An API reading of 0-50 is categorised as good, 51-100 moderate, 101-200 unhealthy and 201-300 very unhealthy while 301 and above is hazardous.
Sarawak Natural Resources and Environment Board (NREB) said the hazy conditions could persist over the next few days if biomass burning beyond the state’s borders continued to increase.
Citing data from the Asean Specialised Meteorological Centre (ASMC), NREB said a total of 7,286 hotspots were detected in Kalimantan from Aug 1 to 19, compared to 148 in Sarawak in the same period.
“ASMC also observed moderate to dense transboundary smoke in west Kalimantan drifting northwards into parts of western Sarawak. The hotspots and haze situation may escalate in fire-prone areas experiencing prolonged dry conditions with a risk of transboundary haze occurring,” it said in a statement yesterday.
NREB warned the public not to conduct open burning activities during the current hot and dry weather.
Under the state’s Natural Resources and Environment Ordinance, open burning offenders face fines of up to RM100,000, up to five years’ imprisonment, or both.
It also sought public assistance to put out small fires and to report open burning cases to the nearest NREB office or its hotline at 082-447 488 or 082-319 500.
Separately, Sarawak Deputy Premier Datuk Dr Sim Kui Hian advised the public to limit outdoor activities and keep windows closed once the API exceeds 100.
“Wear an appropriate N95 mask when outside and drink plenty of water,” he said in a Facebook post.
