Detainee who fled from Sg Buloh Prison successfully recaptured


KUALA LUMPUR: Police have rearrested a Pakistani detainee who fled custody from Sungai Buloh Prison earlier this month.

The fugitive, identified as 24-year-old Muhammad Hassan, is believed to have survived for seven days by hiding in forests and sneaking into construction sites at night.

Immigration director-general Datuk Zakaria Shaaban said the arrest was the result of six days of intelligence-gathering, assisted by information from the Pakistan Embassy.

According to Bernama, Selangor police chief Datuk Shazeli Kahar said the inmate was successfully recaptured at about 5pm on Saturday (April 18) by a team from the Intelligence and Special Operations Division of the Immigration Department headquarters at KM24, Batu 14, Jalan Gombak Lama.

Initial investigations found that the suspect admitted to escaping while getting down from a police truck.

ALSO READ: Manhunt in Sg Buloh after suspected child sex offender escapes from prison

“During his seven days on the run, the suspect hid in forests near construction sites during the day and slipped into the area at night to seek shelter and sleep due to safety risks and threats from wild animals.

“The suspect also wore clothes stolen from the construction site to avoid detection by authorities,” Zakaria said in a statement on Sunday (April 19).

He added that checks showed the suspect entered Malaysia via Kuala Lumpur International Airport on Jan 11, 2025, and was granted a 30-day social visit pass.

An interview and identification process by a representative from the Pakistan Embassy on the same day confirmed the suspect as the individual who escaped police custody on April 9, 2026.

The suspect failed to produce valid identification documents when arrested and also attempted to flee again, but was successfully stopped by the enforcement team.

He was facing several charges, including under Section 377C of the Penal Code for sodomy, Section 392 for robbery, as well as immigration-related offences.

Zakaria said the suspect is now also being investigated under the Immigration Act 1959/63 and is currently being held at an immigration depot pending further action.

ALSO READ: Borders on alert in ongoing manhunt for prison escapee, says Sg Buloh OCPD

The department reiterated that it will continue to intensify enforcement operations to track down, arrest and deport foreigners who violate immigration laws.

Members of the public are reminded not to harbour or employ undocumented migrants, as strict action can be taken under existing laws.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Escaped Immigration detainees easily identifiable with bright green uniforms, shaved heads
Indonesian police arrest 72 people suspected of starting forest fires
Immigration truck crash: 'I have to be strong for my mother'
No guerrilla incursion into Kelantan following south Thai attacks, says GOF
Second boy found drowned, search operation in Keningau ends
Almost RM730mil spent on welfare aid for seniors, OKU, chronically ill this year
Sabah eyes promoting fishing as an international niche sports tourism product
Police issue 75 summonses, seize 31 bikes in anti-illegal racing ops on Second Link
Four nabbed, 3.4 tonnes of cooking oil seized in raid on smuggling ring in Terengganu
Pedestrian killed crossing SPRINT Highway near Damansara toll

Others Also Read