Penang to enforce single-use plastic bag ban from Sept 1


GEORGE TOWN: Penang will enforce a full ban on single-use plastic bags from Sept 1, with Aug 31 set as the final day they can be used, says state housing and environment committee chairman Sundarajoo Somu.

He said the policy, announced on Aug 31 last year, is currently in the awareness phase but will move into enforcement in the coming months.

"If this really happens, and we are very confident it is going to happen, we will be the first state in the country to go 100% non-usage of such bags," he said during the question-and-answer session at the launch of the Penang Green Hotel Programme here on Thursday (April 2).

Sundarajoo said the state has been laying the groundwork through public awareness and alternatives, including the rollout of recycled bags by the Penang Green Council and local councils.

The target is to distribute 100,000 recycled bags, with some 45,000 already handed out at markets and public events.

Sundarajoo said most sectors have adapted, with only markets and hawkers given more time because of a lack of suitable alternatives.

"That is no longer the case," he said, noting that biodegradable bag options are now widely available.

"These bags look and function like plastic, but they are highly biodegradable. Within weeks, they decompose when placed in the ground."

Sundarajoo said enforcement will be carried out in stages, beginning with a softer approach before tightening in the final three months leading up to the deadline.

He added that compliance could be tied to business licence renewals, with errant traders risking their ability to operate if they fail to meet the requirement.

"It is not the state’s intention to penalise people, but to ensure compliance," he said, adding that discussions with local councils will be held soon to finalise enforcement mechanisms.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Johor declares May 25 a state holiday following JDT's Malaysia Cup win
Queen arrives in Turkiye for three-day special visit
Police hunt two brothers over theft of cash box from budget rice seller
No enforcement on non-Muslim houses of worship pending guideline review
Teenage girl reported missing during hike in Tanjong Malim
Pakatan forms three sub-committees to gear up Penang for GE16
PAS to meet before Aidiladha to deliberate continued Bersatu cooperation
Sabah PKR youth unfazed by exit of two division chiefs
Record number of 347,000 train tickets on sale for holiday period
Bipartisan committee can help expedite MA63 issues, 40% revenue rights, says Bangkuai

Others Also Read