Sabah leaders oppose federal appeal over 40% revenue entitlement


KOTA KINABALU: Sabah will take a firm stand against the federal government’s appeal over the state’s 40% net revenue entitlement, says Deputy Chief Minister III Datuk Ewon Benedick, as he urged leaders in Peninsular Malaysia to respect Sabah’s rights.

“Stop belittling Sabah and Sarawak like how we have been treated for so many years. There would be no Malaysia without Sabah and Sarawak,” he said in a statement on Friday (March 13).

He was referring to the federal government’s application to stay the execution of a High Court order mandating a review of Sabah’s 40% net revenue entitlement.

“I also dare to say that Sabah and Sarawak have been subsidising development in Peninsular Malaysia through our oil and gas revenues,” Ewon added.

He said Sabah would continue to pursue its rights under the Malaysia Agreement 1963 (MA63) and would work with Sarawak to defend them.

Beluran MP Datuk Seri Dr Ronald Kiandee also described the federal government’s decision to seek a stay of execution of the High Court order as disappointing.

He said the application raised questions about the federal government’s sincerity and commitment to honour the court’s decision and Sabah’s constitutional rights.

According to Kiandee, the federal government had earlier assured the public that it would not appeal the ruling but later changed its stance and filed an appeal on certain aspects of the judgment.

“It is the same with their duty to fulfil Sabah’s 40% net revenue entitlement, which has not been carried out or respected as it should be,” he said.

He added that regardless of the reasons given to justify the appeal, the move appeared to delay the High Court order and downplay Sabah’s rights within the federation.

“If the federal government truly respects the High Court decision and cares about Sabah and its plight, then why appeal the order?” he asked.

“This action also raises the question of whether negotiations between the federal and state governments have reached a dead end, forcing the federal government to seek a stay of execution,” Kiandee said.

He added that Sabah deserved a clear explanation and that its constitutional rights should not be taken lightly, stressing that the execution of the court order should not be delayed.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

MACC seeks AGC's assistance to contact individuals in Taiwan, UK on RM1.1bil investment case
Govt urged to include tour buses under diesel subsidy scheme
No need for by-elections for Pandan and Setiawangsa, says EC
Coroner's court: Uncle describes close bond between Zara Qairina, mother
Selangor PBM members quit because 'promises never materialised', says Sng
MCMC engages civil groups on online child safety and protection
Sabah private sector employers must take note of replacement holidays, says state Labour Dept
30-year prison sentence upheld for ex-Rela member who fatally shot friend
EC informed of vacancies of Pandan, Setiawangsa parliamentary seats, says Dewan Rakyat Speaker
Tony Pua under investigation for post on Malay Rulers, confirms Bukit Aman

Others Also Read