Mindef to seek govt consideration if procurement freeze affects military readiness


KUALA LUMPUR: The Defence Ministry will seek government approval to continue the procurement of certain assets if the current freeze is found to affect the operations and readiness of the Armed Forces.

Defence Minister Datuk Seri Mohamed Khaled Nordin said while all procurements are currently on hold and subject to ministerial approval, the ministry’s priority remains the continuity of national defence operations.

“If there are procurements that could potentially affect military operations and readiness, we will refer the matter to the government and request that the relevant procurements be allowed to proceed,” he told reporters after attending the launch of the National Defence Industry Policy (DIPN) on Wednesday (Jan 21).

The DIPN was launched by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.

Mohamed Khaled emphasised that any procurement decisions will prioritise operational needs and national security interests.

The freeze on all procurements by the Defence Ministry and the Home Ministry was announced last week by Anwar as part of efforts to review and improve government procurement governance.

“We recognise the government’s need to ensure transparency and accountability. However, defence readiness cannot be compromised. If the freeze directly affects the Armed Forces’ capabilities, we will submit a specific request for government consideration,” Mohamed Khaled said.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Immigration Dept detains 24 foreigners in anti-prostitution raid
Fuel prices May 21-27: Diesel, unsubsidised RON95, RON97 prices increased
IJM Corp share acquisition: Two individuals under MACC investigation
Royal Press Office urges stern action over fake TikTok account impersonating, insulting King
Malaysia awaiting results of Saudi probe into detention of five Malaysians in Mecca
MACC seeks AGC's assistance to contact individuals in Taiwan, UK on RM1.1bil investment case
Govt urged to include tour buses under diesel subsidy scheme
No need for by-elections for Pandan and Setiawangsa, says EC
Coroner's court: Uncle describes close bond between Zara Qairina, mother
Selangor PBM members quit because 'promises never materialised', says Sng

Others Also Read