Govt pledges support to help reunite M. Indira Gandhi with missing child


KUALA LUMPUR: The government will work closely with relevant authorities to help locate the child of M. Indira Gandhi, said Women, Family and Community Development Minister Datuk Seri Nancy Shukri.

Nancy said she sympathised with Indira’s case, as it involved a mother and her child.

"God willing, I will help to look into the matter and discuss it with police to find out the real story and how they can help to locate and reunite the family so there will be peace in whatever way possible.

"I assure you, that has been looked into," she said in reply to Teresa Kok (Pakatan-Seputeh), who asked about the government’s position on Indira’s case.

Kok suggested that police use data on where Indira's ex-husband Riduan, previously known as K. Pathmanathan, has redeemed his Budi95 petrol subsidy and Rahmah Necessities Aid (Sara) credits to locate him.

Nancy also said she had ordered her officers to gather further information so they could assist Indira.

"This is what I can say, that is what has been done so far," she said.

In 2009, Pathmanathan unilaterally converted his three children to Islam and obtained custody from the syariah court.

In 2010, the Ipoh High Court granted full custody to Indira, and in 2016, the Federal Court affirmed a High Court mandamus order to apprehend Pathmanathan and return Prasana to her mother.

The apex court ruled in 2018 that the unilateral conversion was null and void.

Prasana was 11 months old when taken and turned 17 this year.

Indira’s two other children were returned to her in 2010.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Thunderstorms, heavy rain in Labuan, five states until 9pm on May 22
Ramanan receives courtesy visit from Indonesian minister to discuss worker protection
Cops seize RM1.2mil in e-waste, nab 25 foreigners during two raids in Selangor
Social media users to verify age using official docs from June 1
Apex court fixes June 26 to hear Isa Samad's conviction review bid
Ulu Bendul Forest Eco Park closed until June 23 due to leptospirosis�
Drop in 'delayed', 'sick' private housing projects as of April 30, says ministry
Travel time advisory issued for those driving to east coast over Aidiladha
Developer denies claims it refused to build bridge in Batu Kawan
Govt to continue supporting social enterprises with RM5mil investment, says Sim

Others Also Read