Housewife loses RM223,000 to investment scam


KUANTAN: A housewife lost RM223,000 after being duped into joining a non-existent investment scheme two weeks ago.

Pahang police chief Datuk Seri Yahaya Othman said the 51-year-old woman claimed she initially received a call from the suspect offering investment opportunities and was lured into joining due to the high rates of return.

He said the victim then provided personal information and was instructed to download a mobile application via a link sent by the suspect. 

"After that, the victim made 12 transactions from her personal savings, which included money left by her late husband, to seven different bank accounts given by the suspect.

"However, the woman realised she had been cheated after being informed by the bank that the recipient’s account was identified as being involved in a fraud syndicate,” he said in a statement on Tuesday (Sept 30).

Yahaya said the victim lodged a report at the Bentong police headquarters yesterday, and the case is being investigated under Section 420 of the Penal Code. - Bernama

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Scam , Pahang , police , investment , housewife , Yahaya Othman , Fraud

Next In Nation

Johor declares May 25 a state holiday following JDT's Malaysia Cup win
Queen arrives in Turkiye for three-day special visit
Police hunt two brothers over theft of cash box from budget rice seller
No enforcement on non-Muslim houses of worship pending guideline review
Teenage girl reported missing during hike in Tanjong Malim
Pakatan forms three sub-committees to gear up Penang for GE16
PAS to meet before Aidiladha to deliberate continued Bersatu cooperation
Sabah PKR youth unfazed by exit of two division chiefs
Record number of 347,000 train tickets on sale for holiday period
Bipartisan committee can help expedite MA63 issues, 40% revenue rights, says Bangkuai

Others Also Read