Contraband worth RM2.3mil seized in Sibu


SIBU: The Royal Malaysian Customs Department seized smuggled goods worth RM2.3mil, inclusive of duties, in operations here late last month.

Sarawak Customs Director Norizan Yahya said contraband cigarettes, beer and frozen food were confiscated at three different locations on July 30 and 31.

In the first case, acting on information received, Customs confiscated a total of 1,200,000 cigarettes and 3,294 litres of beer from an empty shophouse in Lorong Tunku Abdul Rahman 29A at 9.20am on July 30.

"The items (are believed to be meant) for the local market," he told a press conference on Wednesday (Aug 27).

For the second case, he said a vacant house on Lorong Kong Yit Khim was raided at 9.40am the same day, with 800,000 cigarettes and 4,625 litres of liquor being confiscated.

"At 8.30am on July 31, acting on a tip-off, a team from the Sibu enforcement and operations unit raided a warehouse on Jalan Then Kung Suk and seized 64,524kg of frozen goods and 792 litres of liquor," he said.

The three cases are being investigated under Section 135 (1) (d) of the Customs Act 1967.

"We urge the public to help us combat smuggling, especially cigarettes, liquor, firecrackers, drugs, vehicles and others.

"We also advise them not to get involved in such activities.

"Smuggling not only harms the country in terms of revenue leakage, but also poses a threat to the country and the well-being of the people," Norizan added.

Information on illicit activities may be provided through Customs' toll-free number, 1-800-88-8855.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

JPJ to intensify drone use to detect traffic offences over Aidiladha period
PM Anwar holds phone call with Tamil Nadu chief minister Vijay
Onn Hafiz says he was target of sophisticated 'mercenary spyware' attack
Teacher detained to assist probe into sexual assault of schoolboy in Mersing
Debt collector pleads guilty to sexual assault, wrongful confinement and robbery
GSF 2.0: Released Malaysians safe in Istanbul, expected home on Sunday
Reform task force recommends using local firms to advise govt, digitalise more services�
PAS issues gag order on members over party ties issue
Bersama to contest in Pakatan, BN and Perikatan strongholds, says Nik Nazmi
MACC to appeal Singapore dismissal of RM548mil asset restraining order

Others Also Read