PM Anwar discusses ceasefire, border monitoring efforts, with Cambodian and Thai counterparts


KUALA LUMPUR: The latest developments concerning the ceasefire between Cambodia and Thailand were discussed between Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim and his Cambodian and Thai counterparts in two separate discussions on Tuesday (Aug 19).

In a Facebook post, Anwar said the telephone discussion with Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Manet touched on the Interim Observer Team (IOT), which has been closely monitoring the border areas of the two neighbouring countries.

"We discussed further steps that could be taken to enhance the effectiveness of the IOT’s monitoring operations,” he said.

In a separate Facebook post, Anwar said he also held a telephone discussion on the same matter with Thailand’s Acting Prime Minister Phumtham Wechayachai.

"We emphasised and paid attention to the efforts of the IOT team, which continues to closely monitor the situation at the border, while also looking into several other initiatives that could be undertaken to strengthen the monitoring operations of the ceasefire.

"In addition, both of us touched on the Thailand-Cambodia General Border Committee (GBC) meeting, which will convene next month,” the Prime Minister said.

Defence Forces Chief Gen Tan Sri Mohd Nizam Jaffar previously said that the Malaysia-led IOT plays a crucial role in investigating the transparency of the ceasefire at the Thailand-Cambodia border.

Mohd Nizam said the team would subsequently report its findings to both countries.

On July 28, Cambodia and Thailand reached an agreement to implement an unconditional ceasefire following a special meeting in Putrajaya hosted by Anwar.

At the meeting, Hun Manet and Phumtham also agreed to convene a GBC meeting as part of the ceasefire implementation. – Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Traffic slows on major expressways as at noon
Building tech ecosystem to help Perak SMEs compete
Woman who stabbed mother remanded seven days
Rafizi to proceed with lawsuit against Caprice over alleged defamation
Body of drowned Chinese national found
All govt agencies mobilised to assist flood victims in Sabah, says Zahid
Three more suspended in HRD Corp governance reset
Penang's esplanade seawall, promenade project wins Unesco heritage award
DAP’s pledge to back unity govt key to stability, says Fuziah
Malaysia weighs Impact of US tariff ruling, says Johari

Others Also Read