Key witness in Guan Eng's trial was also robbed, say cops


PETALING JAYA: The key prosecution witness in a corruption trial involving former Penang chief minister Lim Guan Eng, who was attacked by a group of masked and armed men, was also robbed by the group.

Petaling Jaya OCPD Asst Comm Shahrulnizam Ja'afar confirmed the incident, saying police were alerted at about 7.20am on Wednesday (Aug 6)

"A group of masked men, armed with machetes, broke into the victim's house. They stole valuables, which were kept in a safe," he said when contacted.

The assailants then escaped via a jungle area behind the house, he said.

"We are investigating under Section 395/397 of the Penal Code for armed gang robbery.

"We urge those with information to contact investigating officer Asst Supt Fandhi Fatullah Abu Bakar at 014-630 3090 or the nearest police station," he said.

ACP Shahrulnizam said so far, initial investigations revealed that the incident had no connection with the ongoing court case.

Lim, 64, is facing an amended charge of using his position as then Penang chief minister to solicit RM3.3mil in bribes as an inducement to assist Zarul Ahmad in securing the undersea tunnel project worth RM6.34bil.

Lim allegedly committed the offence at the Penang Chief Minister’s Office, Level 28, Komtar, George Town, between January 2011 and August 2017.

In the second amended charge, Lim is accused of soliciting a 10% profit from the company as gratification to secure the project.

The offence was allegedly committed near The Gardens Hotel, Lingkaran Syed Putra, Mid Valley City here, in March 2011.

Lim, who is Bagan MP, faces two further charges of causing two plots of land worth RM208.8mil, belonging to the Penang government, to be disposed of to two companies linked to the project.

The trial before Judge Azura Alwi continues on Aug 19.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Witness , Robbery , Gang , Armed , Lim Guan Eng , Trial , Prosecution

Next In Nation

Flood situation worsens in northern Sabah as evacuees rise to 4,761
TB outbreak: Johor Ramadan bazaar SOPs unchanged, says exco rep
Bersatu crisis: Raub, Lipis divisions dissolved today
Smooth traffic reported on several main highways as at 9.40pm
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Pahang Sultan, Tengku Ampuan express sadness, sympathy at Trooper Indiran's death
Perak urges use of reusable bags ahead of ban on single-use plastics
Ramadan bazaars: A beloved annual tradition for Malaysians
Bersatu appoints new task force to restructure divisions, wings
Madani govt component parties must strengthen cohesion to realise people's mandate, says Zaliha

Others Also Read