Crackdown to clear the air


Ops Selamat PaPa launched to enforce vape and smoking laws

PETALING JAYA: The Health Ministry has initiated a special operation to enforce the law on smoking and vape offences, ­paving the way for a possible ban on vapes in the future.

Codenamed, Operasi Selamat Paru-Paru (Ops Selamat PaPa), Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad said among enforcement priorities in this operation were product registration and ban on advertising, promotion and sponsorship.

Under the special ops, enforcement officers will also scrutinise control over the sale and packaging of smoking products, he added.

“Ops Selamat PaPa is done to strengthen the enforcement under the Control of Smoking Products for Public Health Act 2024. It is being conducted simultaneously nationwide.

On the ground: Dzulkefly during the Ops Selamat PaPa around KL Traders Square, Kuala Lumpur. — FAIHAN GHANI/The Star
On the ground: Dzulkefly during the Ops Selamat PaPa around KL Traders Square, Kuala Lumpur. — FAIHAN GHANI/The Star

“This operation should give us more clarity, evidence and research in order to ban vapes in the country,” he told a press conference yesterday.

Dzulkefly said Ops PaPa would focus more on taking action against the sale and supply of smoking products that violates regulations, and not just targeting smokers such as underaged individuals or those caught smoking in no-smoking areas.

He said that, between October 1 of last year and the present date, a total of 281,381 premises had been inspected, and enforcement actions were taken.

“This operation is an important step towards protecting the younger generation from the dangers of smoking products, including the widespread use of electronic cigarettes and vapes.

“Through Ops Selamat PaPa, we will form a strategic collaboration with the police to execute operations against the sale and manufacturing of smoking products that are mixed with drugs,” he added.

Also involved in the operation are authorities from Domestic Trade and Cost of Living Ministry, the National Kenaf and Tobacco Board, Customs Department and local authorities.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Flood situation worsens in northern Sabah as evacuees rise to 4,761
TB outbreak: Johor Ramadan bazaar SOPs unchanged, says exco rep
Bersatu crisis: Raub, Lipis divisions dissolved today
Smooth traffic reported on several main highways as at 9.40pm
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Pahang Sultan, Tengku Ampuan express sadness, sympathy at Trooper Indiran's death
Perak urges use of reusable bags ahead of ban on single-use plastics
Ramadan bazaars: A beloved annual tradition for Malaysians
Bersatu appoints new task force to restructure divisions, wings
Madani govt component parties must strengthen cohesion to realise people's mandate, says Zaliha

Others Also Read