Najib allowed to attend hearing of AG's appeal over 'royal addendum'


PUTRAJAYA: The Federal Court has allowed an application by Datuk Seri Najib Razak to attend the hearing of the Attorney General’s (AG) appeal concerning the existence of the alleged royal addendum allowing the former prime minister to serve the remainder of his prison sentence under house arrest.

A three-member panel comprising Chief Judge of Malaya Tan Sri Hasnah Mohammed Hashim and Federal Court judges Datuk Zabariah Mohd Yusof and Datuk Hanipah Farikullah allowed the application on Wednesday (June 18) and issued an order to produce (OTP) to facilitate Najib’s presence at the hearing, scheduled in July.

ALSO READ: High Court stays Najib's 'royal addendum' hearing pending disposal of AG's appeal

Najib’s counsel, Tan Sri Muhammad Shafee Abdullah, submitted the application, which was not opposed by Federal Counsel Ainna Sherina Saipolamin, who represented the AG.

The Federal Court had previously fixed July 1 and 2 to hear the AG's appeal against a Court of Appeal decision allowing Najib to initiate a judicial review related to the alleged document.

On Jan 6, in a 2-1 majority decision, the Court of Appeal remitted the case on Najib’s claim of the existence of an additional document purportedly allowing him to serve the remainder of his six-year prison sentence under house arrest to the High Court to be heard on its merits. 

ALSO READ: Shafee files police report on behalf of Najib over 'royal addendum'

This decision overturned the High Court’s earlier ruling, which had dismissed Najib’s application for leave to commence a judicial review regarding the alleged additional document.

Najib is currently serving a six-year jail sentence in connection with the SRC International Sdn Bhd case, following the Federal Court's dismissal of his appeal and review application.

In February last year, the Pardons Board reduced his initial 12-year jail sentence and fine of RM210mil to six years and RM50mil. – Bernama

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Three more suspended in HRD Corp governance reset
Penang's esplanade seawall, promenade project wins Unesco heritage award
DAP’s pledge to back unity govt key to stability, says Fuziah
Malaysia weighs Impact of US tariff ruling, says Johari
Urgent action needed to combat synthetic drug abuse among students, says Lee Lam Thye
Scheduled water rationing in Kluang, Pontian ends
Chinese national feared drowned in Langkawi
Make mosques centres of unity, not exclusive domain of any group, says Pahang Sultan
Umno Supreme Working Council to decide on Bersatu members rejoining party, says Ahmad Maslan
3,685 flee homes as floods worsen in Sabah

Others Also Read