Heavy vehicle speed limiter rule to be enforced from October


SHAH ALAM: Enforcement of the use of speed limiters in heavy vehicles will be carried out in three phases, with the first stage set for October, says Transport Minister Anthony Loke.

He said the enforcement exercise will begin with the verification of speed limiters and their activation, with full implementation by July next year.

Under the first phase, heavy commercial vehicles registered after Jan 1, 2015 must obtain verification that their speed limitation devices are functional before October.

He said this applies to all tour buses and express buses, and heavy vehicles with a maximum weight of over 3,500kg.

ALSO READ: Mandatory heavy vehicle speed limiter policy being drafted

This verification could be obtained from the vehicle manufacturer, technical service providers, workshops and service facility providers recognised by the Road Transport Department (JPJ).

It may also be obtained from Standards Department-accredited bodies that are recognised by the JPJ.

“This must be renewed every two years.

“The document must also be brought to vehicle inspection centres when applying for a new permit or renewing an existing one,” he told a press conference here on Friday (June 13).

Loke said the second phase will make it mandatory for heavy vehicles registered before Jan 1, 2015 to activate their speed limiters.

ALSO READ: Mandatory speed limiters for heavy vehicles can reduce accident risks, say experts

“The document confirming activation must also be renewed every two years and be present in the vehicle at all times in case of enforcement checks,“ he said.

Enforcement under this aspect will begin in January, Loke added.

Heavy vehicles exceeding 3,500kg and those ferrying more than eight passengers that do not have speed limiters at present must have them fitted according to JPJ specifications, he said.

“This aims to ensure that the devices (comply with) the necessary technical specifications,” he said, adding that enforcement of this requirement will begin in July next year.

ALSO READ: Doubts over speed limiter reliability for heavy vehicles

“We understand that there are many vehicles without the devices, so we are giving ample time for (the installation),” he said.

Earlier this week, Loke said the government is drafting a policy that includes the mandatory use of speed limiters for heavy vehicles as part of efforts to enhance road safety.

He said the policy is being thoroughly reviewed to ensure there are no loopholes or opportunities for manipulation once implemented.

This came after a chartered bus travelling from Jertih to Tanjung Malim overturned after colliding with an MPV on the East-West Highway near Gerik on Monday (June 9).

It caused the deaths of 15 Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris (UPSI) students.

The crash also left 33 others injured, including the bus driver, his assistant, and the driver and three passengers of the MPV.

The bus driver has since been arrested.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Indonesian police arrest 72 people suspected of starting forest fires
Immigration truck crash: 'I have to be strong for my mother'
No guerrilla incursion into Kelantan following south Thai attacks, says GOF
Second boy found drowned, search operation in Keningau ends
Almost RM730mil spent on welfare aid for seniors, OKU, chronically ill this year
Sabah eyes promoting fishing as an international niche sports tourism product
Police issue 75 summonses, seize 31 bikes in anti-illegal racing ops on Second Link
Four nabbed, 3.4 tonnes of cooking oil seized in raid on smuggling ring in Terengganu
Pedestrian killed crossing SPRINT Highway near Damansara toll
Puteri Umno hopes to field candidates in Melaka polls

Others Also Read