Students rattled by A- issue


ALOR SETAR: The Education Min­istry’s abrupt change to the matriculation entry requirement has triggered disappointment and anxiety among Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) high achievers, many of whom feel their hard work is being overlooked.

SPM school-leaver Jason Teoh, 18, was elated when he scored 9As and immediately applied for matriculation.

When his application was rejected, he submitted an appeal and is now anxiously awaiting a favourable outcome.

“It’s very demoralising. Some matriculation colleges used to accept 9As regardless of A-, but with the new criteria, I’m rating my chances as low,” said Teoh.

Priscilla Kim, 18, who scored 10As, was initially hopeful of securing a spot in matriculation.

However, two of her grades were A-, and her application was also rejected.

“After reading about the qualification criteria, I now doubt whe­ther my appeal will succeed.

“This is deeply disappointing. We should have been informed earlier, not after the exam results were relea­sed,” she said.

Previously, SPM students with 10As and above were guaranteed a place in the matriculation programme, as announced by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibra­him in June last year.

However, a new circular issued on April 30 now stipulates that only those with 10 straight As, comprising only A+ and A grades, qualify automatically for the 2025/2026 intake.

In Johor Baru, KB Leetha, 18, who scored 1A+, 8As and 1A-, said the news was disheartening as it felt like students with A- were deemed not good enough.

ALSO READ: Policy shift puts tremendous stress on students

Although her application was accepted, she expressed concern for future students who may face greater challenges in pursuing higher education.

Teng Chin Hoon, 18, opted for Form Six as she believed her chances of entering matriculation were slim, having scored 3A+, 5As and 2A- in her SPM.

“I think the ministry should have informed us about the policy change earlier so we could have mentally prepared ourselves,” she said.

Meanwhile, Afif Hazimi Noraz­man, 18, took a more pragmatic view of the revised requirements.

“I believe this is to ensure only those who are truly qualified enter matriculation because it’s not easy to study there.

“It’s better to raise the bar so students don’t waste their time or government resources,” he said.

MCA president Datuk Seri Dr Wee Ka Siong said about 190 affected students have sought assistance from the party.

He criticised the policy change, calling it a significant departure from the earlier assurances made by the Prime Minister last year.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Police arrest man who doused woman with petrol, set her on fire
KPDN busts syndicate repackaging subsidised cooking oil as prayer oil
Two KPDN personnel injured during LPG enforcement operation
Cambodia and Malaysia reaffirm army-to-army cooperation
No DAP partnership in Melaka polls or I walk, warns Akmal Saleh
MetMalaysia warns of thunderstorms in seven states until 9pm (Aug 18)
Three foreigners nabbed for burglary
Two nabbed in Kulai for putting up Jalur Gemilang, Johor flag upside down
Former 1MDB CEO denies treating Jho Low ‘as prime minister’
Banting restaurant raided over illegal wildlife parts

Others Also Read