Immigration Dept shifts focus to negligent employers


ALOR SETAR: Employers' negligence and disregard for regulations set by the Immigration Department have led to the mismanagement of foreign workers in their employment, says Kedah Immigration.

Its director, Mohd Ridzzuan Mohd Zain, said this was evident from the arrest of 64 undocumented foreign nationals in two separate raids under Ops Gempur at construction sites in Changlun and Kuala Kedah on Wednesday (May 7).

In the raids carried out at around 10.30am, 72 foreign nationals were checked. Of these, 64 individuals from Myanmar, Indonesia, and Bangladesh, aged between 18 and 40, were detained for various offences.

"87 per cent of those detained had committed various offences under Section 6(1)(c) (no valid pass), Section 15(1)(c) (overstaying) of the Immigration Act 1959/63, and Regulation 39B (misuse of passes) of the Immigration Regulations 1963," he told reporters here on Wednesday.

Ridzzuan said the initial analysis indicated that many employers were negligent in managing foreign workers.

"During operations, immigration teams enter offices to inspect workers' documents. We often find that employers lack the knowledge needed to make necessary applications related to foreign workers under the law.

"Furthermore, HR departments of these firms are also found to be incompetent. During some checks, we discovered that the names of on-site workers did not match those registered by the company.

"This can lead to serious consequences for employers, including fines and penalties," he said.

Ridzzuan said the department had previously concentrated on detaining and punishing foreign nationals, but this approach proved ineffective.

He added this was why the emphasis now shifted to taking action against employers. — Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Man slashes another over parking space dispute in Cheras
Azam gives statement on shareholding issue to special probe panel
Sahur turns tragic as fire razes four homes in Kepala Batas
MACC detains T'ganu exco man in abuse of power probe
All four leaders expected to be at Perikatan Supreme Council meet today
SAR op ongoing for missing angler in Pontian
Miri man duped out of RM230,000 in fake investment scheme
Cops nab smash-and-grab suspect who targeted parked cars at MRT stations
Social media user hauled up over X post insulting Terengganu royal family
Domestic Trade Ministry mobilises 2,400 enforcement officers for Ops Pantau 2026

Others Also Read