Health Ministry monitoring Legionnaires outbreak in Sydney, no cases reported in Malaysia


KUALA LUMPUR: Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad said the ministry is closely monitoring the current Legionnaires’ disease outbreak in Sydney, Australia.

He added that, so far, the Crisis Preparedness and Response Centre (CPRC) has not received any reports of infections in Malaysia.

"The Health Ministry is monitoring the situation. We will issue an official press statement as soon as we receive any updates from the CPRC,” he said briefly during a press conference after the pre-launch of the Malaysia International Health (MIH) Megatrends 2025 Conference on Friday (April 18).

Earlier, international media reported that the New South Wales Health Department had confirmed one death and 12 infections linked to the outbreak.

The agency has urged individuals in central Sydney and surrounding areas in late March or early April to be vigilant for symptoms such as fever, chills, cough, and shortness of breath.

Legionnaires’ disease is a form of pneumonia caused by Legionella bacteria, which naturally occur in freshwater. Symptoms can appear up to 10 days after exposure.

According to the World Health Organisation, the mortality rate for untreated patients with weakened immune systems can be as high as 80%. - Bernama

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Pangolin still in danger despite reduced threat in Sabah
Economic opportunities for Penang predicted to prosper mid-2026
Trump hikes US global tariff rate to 15%
Langkawi waves claim life of Shanghai man
Broader statutory body to oversee premium crops
Easing financial hardships�
Perikatan faces leadership test
Displaced families seek refuge as rains continue
Flood response in full swing
Hunt on for trio alleged to have hypnotised, cheated woman

Others Also Read