More arrests expected in MBI scheme crackdown


PETALING JAYA: Several more arrests will be carried out in the near future ­following the discovery of the MBI investment scheme, a fraudulent investment scheme based on the Ponzi concept, says Bukit Aman.

Head of the federal police Anti-Money Laundering Crime Investigation Team (AMLA), Comm Datuk Muhammed Hasbul­lah Ali, said that ongoing investigations and intelligence gathering with the cooperation of foreign enforcement agencies have uncovered new evidence implicating more individuals connected to the syndicate.

“Through the raids conducted, we have found more material evidence that strengthens our investigation and we do not rule out the possibility of further arrests soon,” he said when contacted by Sinar Harian yesterday.

Muhammed Hasbul­lah added that investigations revealed the MBI investment scheme had been in operation for several years and was among the most active cross-border fraudulent invest­ment syndicates.

According to him, many victims only began lodging police reports after realising that their investments were yielding no returns and when they started to notice elements of organised and systematic deception behind the scheme.

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Raza­ru­din Husain had earlier confirmed that eight local individuals – including two entre­preneurs with the title of “Datuk”, along with two lawyers and a woman aged between 44 and 62 – had been arrested during Ops Northern Star, which was launched on March 20.

The arrests, Raza­ru­din said, were the result of in-depth investigations by the AMLA unit in collaboration with Interpol, which has issued Red Notices against ­several indi­viduals linked to the investment scheme.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Escaped Immigration detainees easily identifiable with bright green uniforms, shaved heads
Indonesian police arrest 72 people suspected of starting forest fires
Immigration truck crash: 'I have to be strong for my mother'
No guerrilla incursion into Kelantan following south Thai attacks, says GOF
Second boy found drowned, search operation in Keningau ends
Almost RM730mil spent on welfare aid for seniors, OKU, chronically ill this year
Sabah eyes promoting fishing as an international niche sports tourism product
Police issue 75 summonses, seize 31 bikes in anti-illegal racing ops on Second Link
Four nabbed, 3.4 tonnes of cooking oil seized in raid on smuggling ring in Terengganu
Pedestrian killed crossing SPRINT Highway near Damansara toll

Others Also Read