Warrants issued against 1MDB’s Loo back in 2018, court told


PUTRAJAYA: Three arrest warrants were issued against Jasmine Loo, the former general counsel of 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB), for her to be charged for alleged money laundering, the High Court here heard.

According to Kuala Lumpur Criminal High Court assistant registrar Nabilla Md Yusof, all of the warrants were issued by two Magistrate’s Courts in 2018.

Two warrants were applied by the police while the third was sought by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).

Nabilla, who is the 16th defence witness under an examination-in-chief by defence lawyer Tan Sri Muhammad Shafee Abdullah in Datuk Seri Najib Razak’s RM2.28bil 1MDB graft trial, said she did not know whether the warrants were enforced.

“I do not know if the warrants were executed or not because there was no update on the documents to the courts.

“Any developments would be updated in the court filing system. My job is to process the applications of the warrants and to fix mention dates,” she said yesterday.

Nabilla said she was not privy to any other court orders pertaining to the matter as she was not involved in the proceedings.

Muhammad Shafee said the testimony on the warrants were important as Loo was one of the individuals responsible for the misappropriation of 1MDB funds.

He said the court documents showed that Loo was facing money laundering charges that were still pending.

During cross-examination by deputy public prosecutor Ahmad Akram Gharib, Nabilla said Loo was never charged in court for any offences.

She said the charges were merely affixed together with the arrest warrants by the police and the MACC as an attachment.

She also agreed with the suggestion that it was not her responsibility to ensure whether the warrants were executed or not.

She further agreed that the charges, as attached to the warrants, were not read out in court.

Loo, who was a person of interest in the 1MDB scandal, was said to be a close associate of fugitive businessman Low Taek Jho or Jho Low.

She was on the run abroad for about five years before surrendering to the police in July 2023.

On Oct 30 last year, Najib was ordered by the High Court to enter his defence on four counts of using his position to obtain RM2.28bil gratification from 1MDB’s funds and 21 counts of money laundering involving the same amount.

The hearing continues on Tuesday.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Removing numbers from counters has curtailed illegal entry syndicates, says Johor Immigration
46,542 commuting accidents recorded in 2025, says PERKESO
Man nabbed after failed snatch theft attempt in hospital parking lot
Sabah drafting 25-year forest conservation plan
Lorry driver arrested over use of fake permits to buy subsidised petrol
Sabah maintains carbon-negative status, expands forest projects
RM2.5mil for Wesak grassroots activities, says Anthony Loke
Thunderstorms and heavy rain expected on east coast, other states until 4pm
Community empowerment key for nearly 1 million caregiver-breadwinner women, says Nancy
WWF-Malaysia condemns suspected Bornean elephant poaching

Others Also Read