Couple nabbed for alleged abuse, 18 children rescued from shelter


KAJANG: A married couple has been detained, and 18 children rescued from a home used as a private shelter following complaints of abuse, police say.

The couple are the owners of the shelter located in Batu 9, Cheras, said Kajang OCPD Asst Comm Naazron Abdul Yusof. He said that an 18-year-old male youth had lodged a report on April 1, claiming that he was slapped on the face and scolded by the couple.

"We also received two other police reports alleging that the owners, who were also the caretakers, had emotionally and mentally abused the children at the shelter home previously," ACP Naazron said in a statement on Thursday (April 10).

The owners, aged 66 and 68, were detained at about 3.20pm on Thursday, he said.

"They will be remanded on Friday (April 11) to assist with the investigation," he said.

ACP Naazron said the 18 rescued children, aged between three and in their late teens, have been handed over to the Welfare Department for further action, including medical checkups.

"We are investigating under Section 31(1)(a) of the Child Act 2001, which carries a fine not exceeding RM50,000 or imprisonment not exceeding 20 years or both upon conviction.

"We urge those with information on the case to contact Investigating Officer Insp R. Ravin at 012-6269250 to assist with the investigation," he said.'

Previously, a social media personality had alleged that the children at the shelter home were neglected and abused.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Man slashes another over parking space dispute in Cheras
Azam gives statement on shareholding issue to special probe panel
Sahur turns tragic as fire razes four homes in Kepala Batas
MACC detains T'ganu exco man in abuse of power probe
All four leaders expected to be at Perikatan Supreme Council meet today
SAR op ongoing for missing angler in Pontian
Miri man duped out of RM230,000 in fake investment scheme
Cops nab smash-and-grab suspect who targeted parked cars at MRT stations
Social media user hauled up over X post insulting Terengganu royal family
Domestic Trade Ministry mobilises 2,400 enforcement officers for Ops Pantau 2026

Others Also Read