Gitmo duo to be given 'second chance' to reintegrate into society, says IGP


Mohammed Farik Amin (left) and Mohammed Nazir Lep.

KUALA LUMPUR: The two former Malaysian Guantanamo Bay detainees will be given a second chance to reintegrate themselves into society after they undergo comprehensive rehabilitation, says Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Razarudin Husain.

He said the duo, Mohammed Farik Amin and Mohammed Nazir Lep, who were detained by the United States since 2006 are in good health and have since returned to their respective families

"The Home Ministry has instructed for them to undergo assessment and enter a comprehensive rehabilitation phase before being re-integrated into society.

The IGP said police received both men on Wednesday from US authorities.

"They were grateful that they could return to Malaysia and eventually to their families," he said in a statement on Wednesday (Dec 18).

"They also stated their strong commitment to become progressive members of society.

"Everyone deserves a second chance and we will ensure they receive such an opportunity," he said.

Earlier in 2024, the duo pleaded guilty to being accessories in the 2002 Bali bombings.

Both were held for years in the secretive overseas network of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).

In 2006, they were transferred to Guantanamo Bay to face trial in a special security court set up by former United States president George W. Bush after the Sept 11, 2001 attack.

Also charged were Encep Nurjaman, also known as Hambali, from Indonesia.

Hambali is currently facing a murder charge, terrorism and conspiracy in the 2002 and 2003 incidents and if found guilty could be sentenced to life imprisonment.

In their plea statement, both Malaysians agreed to testify against Hambali, the former leader of the Jemaah Islamiyah movement, according to a New York Times report.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Assistant HR manager loses over RM163,000 in online investment scam
Johor police to call witnesses over alleged rough treatment of media at PH convention
Fire hazards from the past
PKR duo assures supporters of loyalty
Move to strengthen lung health services in Malaysia
Sarawak sees rise in tourist arrivals
Teens assault woman driver over fare
The tearful, long goodbye�
Keeping an 80-year-old tradition alive
Barisan upholds role in unity govt

Others Also Read