No excessive pesticides on shine muscat grapes, says Health Ministry


PETALING JAYA: The controversial imported shine muscat grapes do not contain chemical residues exceeding permitted levels, says to the Health Ministry.

The ministry revealed that 234 grape samples were analysed by the Food Quality and Safety Programme.

"Four samples did not comply with the maximum residue level (MRL), but these did not involve the shine muscat grapes," stated the Health Ministry in a statement on Monday (Oct 28).

The next consignment of shine muscat grapes will be inspected using the test, hold and release mechanism.

In this procedure, food consignments must be held and sampled by authorities. Approvals will only be granted if analysis results comply with the MRL, and an import ban will be enforced for repeated violations.

As a guide for consumers, every imported and packaged food must display basic information, including the product's country of origin.

From 2020 to Sept this year, the ministry has analysed 5,561 samples of vegetables and fruits for pesticide residue.

A total of 165 samples did not comply with the MRL under the Food Regulations 1985. Actions taken on non-compliant imported vegetables and fruits included product recalls, disposal, re-export, or court prosecution.

The ministry also advised Malaysians to read food labels and assured the public that stringent checks are conducted at the country’s borders to ensure food security.

Previously, the Thai Pesticide Alert Network issued a warning about shine muscat grapes, finding that most samples contained harmful chemical residue exceeding permitted levels.

Thai-PAN and the Thai Consumer Council urged the Thai Ministry of Public Health to take action, including requiring importers and distributors to label the country of origin for these grapes.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Man slashes another over parking space dispute in Cheras
Azam gives statement on shareholding issue to special probe panel
Sahur turns tragic as fire razes four homes in Kepala Batas
MACC detains T'ganu exco man in abuse of power probe
All four leaders expected to be at Perikatan Supreme Council meet today
SAR op ongoing for missing angler in Pontian
Miri man duped out of RM230,000 in fake investment scheme
Cops nab smash-and-grab suspect who targeted parked cars at MRT stations
Social media user hauled up over X post insulting Terengganu royal family
Domestic Trade Ministry mobilises 2,400 enforcement officers for Ops Pantau 2026

Others Also Read