Police record statements over China-flag waving incident in Teluk Intan


IPOH: The police have taken statements from those involved in raising the Chinese flag during a cultural event in Teluk Intan.

Perak police chief Comm Datuk Azizi Mat Aris said the event organiser and 17 Chinese nationals were among those called to record their statements.

Comm Azizi said they have received an order to investigate (OTI) from the state Deputy Public Prosecutor's office and will take the necessary actions.

"There had been claims that there were also other flags being displayed.

"We will look into this because the event involved about 200 foreigners, including those from Thailand and Vietnam," he said in a press conference after attending a state police contingent-held nasyid contest at the state secretariat building here on Friday (Oct 25).

In a video that has gone viral, several individuals were seen hoisting the Chinese flag during a procession on Thursday (Oct 24).

He said the investigations were being conducted under Section 4(1) of the Peaceful Assembly Act and Section 3(1) of the National Emblems (Control of Display) Act.

"We will follow the DPP's instructions and take the next course of action after we complete our investigations," he added.

Comm Azizi also clarified that they had received a notice from the organiser to hold the event and procession, but they went against some conditions the police had set.

"The police had set a condition that no foreigners would be involved (in the procession).

"Other terms were that the procession must not cause public disturbance or affect traffic," he said.

He said event organisers need to be transparent with the police about what they intend to do or bring.

"If they bring flags, they need to mention it in their application, and we will set our own terms," he added.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Penang Sukma rugby player dies after collapsing during training
Planted reefs off Semporna destroyed in suspected fish bombing
Company director loses over RM167,000 to online loan scam
Body of missing 11-year-old boy found near NKVE in Damansara Damai
Thousands flock to Star Education Fair 2026
Malaysia, Slovakia move to deepen cooperation with embassy reopening
Soldier charged with abusing son
PKR leaders must explain their presence at Bersama event, says PKR Youth chief
Alleged sexual misconduct case involving teacher in Setiu under probe
Six Malaysian inmates transferred to Malaysia in 2025: Brunei Minister

Others Also Read