Prasarana confirms internal data breach, public rail services not affected


PETALING JAYA: A day after a law to beef up digital safety was introduced, Prasarana, the owner and operator of Malaysia’s rail services, has confirmed that a cybersecurity incident has affected part of its internal systems.

But the company, which operates the LRT networks, KL Monorail and MRT lines, gave its assurance that the cybersecurity incident did not affect its daily operations.

“Our cybersecurity team has identified and is tackling the incident involving unauthorised access to a number of our systems. Our priority is the safety and reliability of our public transportation services.

“We want to confirm that this incident has not disrupted our daily operations,” it said in a statement yesterday.

It said it is working with cybersecurity experts and would provide timely updates.

“Our focus remains on resolving issues promptly while ensuring that our services continue to meet the needs of the public,” it said.

When contacted, the National Cyber Security Agency, via the National Cyber Coordination and Command Centre, acknowledged the cybersecurity incident involving Prasarana.

The agency confirmed that an investigation has began.

“Our goal is to ascertain the extent of the breach and ensure that measures are implemented to mitigate any potential impact,” it said.

On Sunday, FalconFeeds.io, a threat intelligence platform, alleged in a post on X that Prasarana had been hit by a cybersecurity incident. It also claimed that a ransomware group had obtained 316GB of data and that it planned to publish it.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
data breach

Next In Nation

Welfare Dept to take custody of baby who tested positive for drugs
Scammers shifting to RCS, iMessage to spread phishing URLs, says MCMC
Putrajaya to prevent future disputes over Sabah blue economy
Anwar to attend Annual Leaders' Consultation during two-day working visit to Brunei
Driver killed after lorry crashes into drain near Ayer Hitam school
Melaka BN being courted like a 'maiden' ahead of state polls, says Ab Rauf
Anwar to make important announcements on Aug 30, Sept 16
Kedah MB's ex-political secretary ordered to enter defence in bribery case
Ex-1MDB CEO doesn't know why allegations in separate suit changed, court hears
SC wins suit, five individuals ordered to pay RM103.75mil

Others Also Read