Sg Bakap polls: Cops issue nine more permits on sixth day of campaigning


NIBONG TEBAL: Police have issued nine additional permits for mobile campaigns, ceramah and walkabouts for political parties contesting in the Sungai Bakap state by-election, which entered its sixth day of campaigning on Thursday (June 27).

Penang police chief Comm Datuk Hamzah Ahmad said that a total of 34 permits have been approved since the start of the by-election campaign on June 22, with no permit applications rejected so far.

"All parties are urged not to provoke anyone during campaigning. The police are monitoring social media activities to detect any dissemination of fake news, slander, or incitement that could disrupt public order," he said in a statement on Thursday.

He added that the police will take stern action against any political party or individual who violates existing laws and regulations.

The by-election on July 6 will witness a straight fight between Pakatan Harapan candidate Dr Joohari Ariffin and Perikatan Nasional’s Abidin Ismail, following the demise of the incumbent Nor Zamri Latiff, from PAS, on May 24 due to stomach inflammation.- Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Anwar takes over Pandan as adopted constituency
Supporters gather in KLIA to welcome Global Sumud Flotilla activists’ return
Shots fired at suspects attempting to ram policemen
Traffic builds up on major highways as holiday travellers return
Malaysian citizen confirmed dead in Philippine building collapse
Bersatu claims PAS failed to work together to resolve Perlis, NS crises
Two killed in road collision near Bagan Serai
We are the moderate brand that gave you votes, Bersatu tells PAS off
Don’t poke into our internal affairs, Bersatu tells PAS
Defence Ministry mulling offers to replace cancelled Norwegian missile deal

Others Also Read