Further probe needed in Zayn Rayyan’s murder


KAJANG: Inconsistent statements from Zayn Rayyan Abdul Matiin’s parents and other witnesses prompted the police to conduct further investigations into the case, says Comm Datuk Hussein Omar Khan.

The Selangor police chief said the police are taking all necessary steps to ensure a thorough investigation following the granting of a six-day remand extension for Zayn Rayyan’s parents.

“We have to review all aspects of the case, including inconsistent statements of not only the suspects but witnesses as well.

“There are things we have to counter check, such as things that are not in line with our investigations.

“As the parents have been remanded for a further six days, we will use the time to complete the investigation, including tying up all aspects of the investigations such as witness statements and physical evidence,” he told reporters after launching the Selangor police’s Taman Angkat Amanita programme yesterday.

As for potential arrests or prosecutions, Comm Hussein said it would depend on the course of the investigation within the six days.

“So far we have recorded the statements of the babysitter and two family members.

“It is premature to comment on the outcome. We will complete the investigation and refer the case to the deputy public prosecutor,” he said.

Comm Hussein said the investigation could go beyond the six days, depending on the outcome.

Regarding access for the parents’ legal counsel, Comm Hussein said it would be subject to police discretion.

The remand extension was granted by Magistrate Ainaa Muhamad Kamal following the initial seven-day remand that ended on Friday.

On Dec 5 last year, Zayn Rayyan was reported missing in Damansara Damai and his body was found near a stream about 200m from his home at the Idaman Apartment the next day.

A post-mortem revealed injuries to his neck and body, leading to the conclusion that he had been killed.

On another case, Comm Hussein said the home of Selangor centreback Ahmad Khuzaimi Piee was targeted by burglars as there were no occupants at the time.

He said initial investigation revealed that the suspects monitored other houses prior to breaking into the footballer’s home in Shah Alam on May 22.

“His house was not targeted because he was a Selangor football player. We believe the suspects chose the victim’s home as the empty home presented a lower risk,” he said.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Zayn Rayyan , Murder , Hussein Omar Khan

   

Next In Nation

Malaysian students in Bangladesh claim no access to shelter at High Commission
Six-year-old girl goes missing at Bon Odori Festival in Johor
Wisma Putra says M'sian students in Bangladesh relocated to High Commission
BN's proven track record makes it the best choice, says Dr Wee
Diverse crowd enlivens National Month launch in Cyberjaya
Cyberbullying: Special task force to review Penal Code, says Azalina
Brunei serviceman killed in motorbike accident in Keningau
Download 'Price Catcher' app to help address sudden price hikes, says Fahmi
Body of Thai woman found in Durian Burung
Ethics, integrity vital for effective occupational safety, health practices, says Lam Thye

Others Also Read