Johor police want Bukit Aman to suspend cops accused of extortion at BSI


Johor police chief Comm M. Kumar (centre).

ISKANDAR PUTERI: Johor police will recommend that Bukit Aman suspend the two policemen who allegedly extorted money from travellers at the Bangunan Sultan Iskandar (BSI) Customs, Immigration and Quarantine complex near the Causeway.

State police chief Comm M. Kumar said the matter must be taken seriously as two separate allegations have surfaced against the same policemen.

“At first, a police report was lodged on April 5, where the victim alleged that he was extorted by the two suspects on April 2.

ALSO READ: Errant cops nabbed a second time for extorting travellers at JB checkpoint

“A second victim came forward on April 19 to claim that he was extorted by the same policemen on Jan 4 but he was too afraid to report the incident as he utilises BSI on a daily basis,” he told the media after witnessing the handing over of duties to the new Iskandar Puteri OCPD here on Sunday (April 21).

Comm Kumar said he would recommend the suspension while the investigation is being carried out, adding that approval has to be obtained from Bukit Aman.

He added that the two policemen were under a three-day remand until Monday (April 22) and once the investigation is completed, the case would be referred to the deputy public prosecutor office for further action.

The two policemen are attached to the Johor Baru South district headquarters and were previously stationed at BSI, Comm Kumar added.

ALSO READ: Man claims cops extorted RM1,000 from him at BSI

Earlier this month, the two were arrested for trying to extort RM2,000 from a local man at BSI, who managed to avoid the situation while faking an asthma attack.

Another allegation came to light on Friday (April 19) when a 50-year-old Malaysian man claimed that he was stopped by the two policemen on Jan 4 while he was heading home through BSI.

The victim claimed that the two policemen in plain clothes inspected his mobile phone and interrogated him in a room where they asked for RM1,000 to “settle the case”.

The victim reportedly handed the money to the two suspects in a toilet cubicle in order to get his passport and mobile phone back.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

DRT contract only valid for nine months, says Asia Mobiliti
Customs seizes cocaine worth RM10mil in container at PTP
Another tree falls along Old Klang Road
The Star's Melaka stringer Sardi Mahorm passes away
SPM 2023: Four inmates get straight As
The Star photographer Zulazhar Sheblee receives Special Appreciation Award
Mobile rebate for media personnel to continue this year, says Fahmi
Court allows Fahmi's application to strike out Ahmad Dusuki's counterclaim
Only 5% of public healthcare facilities have adequate manpower, says MMA
Reconsider e-invoicing and just bring back GST, says Dr Wee

Others Also Read