'I'm not on the run', says Muhyiddin's son-in-law


KUALA LUMPUR: Datuk Seri Muhammad Adlan Berhan, the son-in-law of former prime minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin who is currently under investigation by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC), has denied that he is trying to evade authorities.

Datuk Dr Baljit Singh Sidhu, who is representing Muhammad Adlan, said in a press statement on Wednesday (Aug 9) that his client categorically rejects that he is "a fugitive on the run".

ALSO READ: Interpol's help sought in tracing Muhyiddin's son-in-law

Baljit said Muhammad Adlan has the right of movement and travel like any other free citizen of the country, more so to conduct his business in any part of the world.

"The exercise of these rights by our client should not be construed or mischaracterised as an attempt to avoid or stall the investigation," he said on Wednesday (Aug 9).

ALSO READ: MACC looking for ex-PM’s son-in-law in graft probe

This was in response to a MACC statement on Aug 7 that Muhammad Adlan and another person were being sought to assist an investigation into corrupt practices relating to the registration, acquisition and storage of biometric data of foreign workers.

The other person was a 69-year-old lawyer, Mansoor Saat.

ALSO READ: Don't run away, step up and face the music, Anwar advises Muhyiddin's son-in-law

It was reported that the MACC said that checks with the Immigration Department showed that Muhammad Adlan and Mansoor left the country on May 17 and 21 respectively and that there were no records of the two returning to Malaysia.

Baljit said that his client was never arrested nor called by the MACC for a meeting or to assist any investigation before he left the country lawfully.

ALSO READ: MACC looking for duo over foreign worker issue

He said Muhammad Adlan had been contacted by an MACC officer and had responded through a letter dated March 3.

"In that letter, our client stated that he is travelling overseas for business and will return once these affairs are attended to.

"He gave a tentative date of return and impressed upon the MACC that there is witch-hunting and finger-pointing being orchestrated against him to his utter detriment.

"To date, our client has not received a formal reply from the MACC," Baljit said.

Muhammad Adlan, who is now under a travel ban, denied suggestions that he was uncontactable and said he was prepared to cooperate.

He also questioned the timing of MACC's press release, which he stated was so near to the state elections, suggesting a political undertone to the process.

"Our client states that he will certainly return to Malaysia as soon as possible to answer all questions and to assist the MACC with any investigation so long as the elements of threats and persecution are eliminated," Baljit said.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

Diesel subsidy: Agriculture sector operators must be registered with GeoAgro, says ministry
Cardiovascular surgery association hopes parallel pathway will be recognised
Many names put forward for Senate president, says Anwar
Zambry: Framework for parallel pathway issue solution sent to AG's Chambers
Papar's Unduk Ngadau queen wows judges with video about hometown
Fire ongoing at Iskandar Puteri paint factory
No grumbling within GRS over admission of Parti Cinta Sabah, says Masidi
Ex-rugby union employee to be tried in court for using 58 forged cheques of over RM2mil
SESB hoping no need for power rationing after IPP shutdown
Johor still attracting strong interest from data centre companies, says exco man

Others Also Read