KUALA LUMPUR: A woman died following a fire at a shophouse in Taman Overseas Union Garden (Taman OUG) here.
City Fire and Rescue Department said in a statement on Sunday (April 30) that they were alerted about the fire at 8.43am.
"We immediately dispatched a fire engine and nine personnel from the Sri Petaling fire station to the scene." According to operations commander Mohd Khairul Nizat Mohammad Rokhi, an upstairs unit of a shoplot caught fire.
When they arrived, the fire had already been put out by members of the public.
"A 47-year-old woman was found dead in a room at the unit," he said.
Brickfields OCPD Asst Comm Amihizam Abdul Shukor said investigations have revealed no criminal elements so far.
"Police and the Fire and Rescue Department forensic investigators were at the scene to gather evidence.
"The woman was believed to have died from smoke inhalation and burn injuries," he said, adding that the fire was believed to have originated from the wiring of an air-conditioning unit.