GEORGE TOWN: A total of nine people have been arrested so far in relation to the multi-million ringgit Shah Alam Sustainable Urban Drainage Master Plan (SASud) project.
Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) chief Tan Sri Azam Baki said among the nine who were arrested, one of them was an officer from the Shah Alam City Council (MBSA).
Azam said that the officer is believed to have received kickbacks linked to the mitigation project.
"Those arrested were part of the cartel being investigated,” he said.
He said MACC is also investigating a company that is controlling about 30 companies in acquiring the projects from MBSA.
On Sept 19, MACC arrested several MBSA employees and a contractor believed to be involved in the SASud flood mitigation project.
Azam had said a contractor and several employees with a local authority were being investigated for corruption.
He said that the individuals detained were between 36 and 56 years old, adding that they were investigated under Section 18 of the MACC Act 2009.
In June this year, it was reported that MBSA had approved 37 flood mitigation projects costing RM115.3mil in total under SASud and they would be rolled out in two phases over the next three years.
The first phase involves 18 projects that are ongoing in areas worst hit by floods in December last year such as Taman Sri Muda, Stadium Shah Alam and Taman Mesra, at a cost of RM63.3mil, to be completed next year.
The second phase comprising the remaining 19 projects will commence between 2023 and 2024, costing RM52mil.
On the Malaysian Indian Community Transformation Unit (Mitra) fund probe, Azam said six more individuals are expected to be charged.
"The Attorney General has agreed to the six individuals to be charged," he said.
Azam said in total, 33 investigation papers had been opened with eight individuals being charged so far.