Cops arrest man suspected of uprooting gravestones at Sibu cemetery


SIBU: The police arrested a homeless man suspected of being involved in uprooting several gravestones at a Muslim cemetery here which had caused a stir among the community.

The issue went viral on Sunday (Aug 14) when some people claimed that the headstones on the graves of their family members had been uprooted.

Sibu district police chief ACP Zulkipli Suhaili said the police received a report at 1.21pm Monday (Aug 15) from a 39-year-old local man that the headstone on his father's grave had been removed at Al-Qadim Muslim Cemetery.

"Following a police investigation, at about 3pm, a 49-year-old local man suspected of being involved in the incident was arrested," he told Bernama.

He said the suspect who had a criminal record was arrested at the cemetery and further investigations were underway. - Bernama

Article type: free
User access status:
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

gravestone , cemetery , police , arrest , homeless , Sibu , Sarawak

   

Next In Nation

It’s just a ‘courtesy visit’, say sources on Zahid-Hadi meeting
Dr M, Muhyiddin not fit to be next PM, says Zahid
Seized jewellery, watches, handbags bought using 1MDB funds, says DPP
Not true members left Putatan Bersatu division en bloc to join Umno, says Youth chief
Health Ministry’s RM1.6mil allocation to build temporary clinic in Parit Baru
MetMalaysia: Continuous rain in Sabah, Sarawak, Labuan
Boost for mobile truck business entrepreneurs in KK
GE15: Ismail Sabri remains BN’s ‘poster boy’, says Mahdzir
Four nabbed over vehicle thefts in Klang Valley
Use money to help the rakyat, not for snap polls, urges Negri MB

Others Also Read