KOTA KINABALU: A security guard has denied that an attempt to kidnap a pupil took place at a preschool in Sabah’s east coast Tawau district.
The security guard lodged a police report on Friday (Aug 5) denying the claim after a text message had gone viral alleging the incident took place at SK Balung.
It was alleged the incident happened at the school on Monday (Aug 1).
Following the viral message, Tawau OCPD Asst Comm Jasmin Hussin said the police took the proactive action of holding a meeting with the preschool management as well as the parents and child said to have almost been abducted in order to find out what actually occurred.
He added the police had been receiving a barrage of queries from the public over the so-called incident.
As a result, he said, the guard subsequently lodged the report at 3.26pm on Friday.
“He denied the attempt to kidnap the pupil from the preschool as claimed in the message ever took place,” he said, in a statement late Friday.
As such, ACP Jasmin reminded the public not to be easily fooled by messages they come across especially on social media.
“The people should validate the information received first before making any conclusion or comment about the matter,” he said.
It was alleged in the text message which made the rounds over the last few days that the kidnapper tried to lure the child using sweets and money.
It was said in the message that this was noticed by a teacher and the security guard at the school, who shouted at the man.
It was also claimed that the man then let go of the child before fleeing in a white Proton Saga Aeroback car.