Floods: 50-year-old heritage house swept away by strong currents in Hulu Langat


  • Nation
  • Monday, 20 Dec 2021

KUALA LUMPUR: I was speechless when my eldest sister told me our family's heritage house was washed away by strong currents, says Rodiah Mahfuz, describing her reaction when she found out her family home had been destroyed by the floods on Saturday (Dec 18).

The 56-year-old at first did not believe the house, located at Batu 18, Kampung Jawa, in Hulu Langat was washed away as several previous floods did not destroy the house.

"The house was occupied by my eldest sister (Rohana, 75,) who said the water level started rising in the house at about midnight Saturday.

"She quickly left the house and took shelter at the house of a nearby family member," she told Bernama.

Rodiah said her sister managed to get out by car to the relative's house nearby.

Rodiah added that her important personal documents such as identity cards, furniture and other items in the house could not be salvaged due to the severe flooding.

"The heritage house had been hit by floods several times before but not as bad," she said.

Meanwhile, Selangor Fire and Rescue Department director Norazam Khamis, when contacted by Bernama, said so far 18 relief centres have been opened in Hulu Langat and two have closed. - Bernama

Rodiah said the house had survived several previous floods but this time around, the currents were too strong. - Photo: BernamaRodiah said the house had survived several previous floods but this time around, the currents were too strong. - Photo: Bernama

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

House , Heritage , Swept , Flood , Hulu Langat

   

Next In Nation

Azmin has a tendency to ‘micromanage’, says Amirudin
Muhyiddin should assist MACC to locate son-in-law, says Fahmi
Explain why Kelantan can’t resolve water woes, Anwar asks PAS, Perikatan
Company owners to be charged with fraud in Tawau
Vincent Tan, Berjaya Land file RM200mil suit against Sanusi
Kudat MMEA detains two Filipinos for ferrying controlled items without permit
State polls: Talk about bringing down Federal Govt will not aid economic recovery, says Nik Nazmi
State polls: Don't miss out opportunities for a better life, Zahid tells Kelantan folk
Sanusi sues Saifuddin over REE theft allegations
Ipoh cops on the hunt for car thieves

Others Also Read