KUALA LUMPUR: City folk can expect roadside stalls near their housing areas to remain open in the near future, as the Federal Territories Ministry has not made any plans to scrap its street traders programme.
Its Minister Datuk Seri Dr Shahidan Kassim said he would continue the existing programmes that were launched under his predecessor Tan Sri Annuar Musa.
"Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) will make improvements to the street traders programme.
"Any changes will be announced from time to time," he said on Tuesday (Sept 7).
Under the initiative that was launched on Nov 15 last year, small traders could do business at any locations in the city, subject to meeting certain conditions.
They must also apply for a licence from DBKL in Kuala Lumpur, or Putrajaya Corporation in Putrajaya.
The initiative was initially supposed to end in April this year, but Annuar later extended it after taking into account the worsening Covid-19 pandemic.
Shahidan and his deputy Datuk Seri Jalaluddin Alias were met at Pangsapuri Teratak Muhibbah in Taman Desa after a programme to give food aid to the needy.
Eight recipients from Block A and B received an aid which comprised a rice bag, flour and sugar pack, noodles and a sardine can under the MYFood@Wilayah programme.