KUALA LUMPUR: The hearing of the lawsuit filed by 10 Gombak voters against their MP Datuk Seri Azmin Ali over alleged breach of fiduciary duty will start in June next year after the High Court here dismissed the senior minister’s application to strike it out.
Justice Akhtar Tahir also dismissed a similar application by the 10 voters to strike out parts of Azmin’s statement of defence against their suit.
In his decision delivered in an online session, the judge dismissed Azmin’s application as the court found the matter needed to be heard in a full hearing as there were triable issues raised by the voters.
Lawyer N. Yohendra, who is representing the plaintiffs, confirmed the matter to the press.
“This means we have to go to trial,” he said.
The trial dates have been fixed for June 7-10 next year.
Azmin’s lawyer Nizamuddin Hamid said they would be appealing against the dismissal of the striking out application.
Azmin won the seat under PKR and is now with Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia.
On Nov 27 last year, the group sued Azmin for alleged deceit and breach of fiduciary duty for leaving the Pakatan Harapan coalition and joining Perikatan Nasional.
In his striking out application dated March 12, Azmin, who is the International Trade and Industry Minister, said the lawsuit filed against him did not have a reasonable cause of action, was frivolous and an abuse of court process.
The plaintiffs, aged between 37 and 68, named the senior minister as the sole defendant.