KUALA LUMPUR: All agencies and departments under the Home Ministry have been ordered to step up enforcement across public transportation platforms in the country.
The ministry said more roadblocks would be conducted and officers would strictly monitor public movement to prevent people from travelling across states and borders using public transport such as KTM Komuter, LRT, MRT, ERL, KL Monorail and even e-hailing rides.
The government agencies and departments involved are the police, Immigration Department, Prisons Department, Rela, Eastern Sabah Security Command (Esscom), National Anti-Drugs Agency and the Malaysian Border Security Agency (Aksem).
In a statement, it said that orders were meant to ensure the Covid-19 contagion is contained as Hari Raya Aidilfitri is just next week.
Meanwhile, traffic was at a standstill along the Federal Highway yesterday after roadblocks were set up on both sides of the highway at the Kota Darul Ehsan arch, which marks the border between the Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur and Selangor.
The roadblocks were part of nine roadblocks set up by the city police from 7am.
In a statement, city deputy police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Yong Lei Choo said the nine roadblocks were located at Jalan Sentul Pasar, in front of the Kepong police station, the Federal Highway heading towards Kuala Lumpur, Old Klang Road, Jalan 2/27a Wangsa Melawati, Jalan 1/91 Taman Shamelin Perkasa and Lebuhraya Bukit Jalil.
Roadblocks were also set up at the Jalan Duta and Sungai Besi toll plazas.
“The public is advised to reduce their travels and to only do so when necessary, ” she said.
When contacted, Kuala Lumpur Traffic and Investigation Department head Asst Comm Zulkefly Yahya said traffic was at a crawl at about 5pm yesterday.
“Strict inspection was made on each car to see if the occupants had valid travel letters.
“There are also many who are still working and operating businesses who are travelling, ” he added.
In PETALING JAYA, the police confirmed that a roadblock had been set up on the Federal Highway heading towards Petaling Jaya.
OCPD Asst Comm Mohamad Fakhrudin Abdul Hamid, in a statement, said another roadblock would be set up today at Taman Kanagapuram, alongside the four roadblocks at the Sungai Buloh, Kota Damansara, Damansara and Subang toll plazas.
Six districts in Selangor – Petaling, Gombak, Hulu Langat, Klang, Sepang and Kuala Langat – will be under the MCO until May 17 while Kuala Lumpur will be under the MCO until May 20 to curb the recent surge in Covid-19 cases.
Meanwhile, the Malaysian Highway Authority reported a high number of vehicles going towards the east coast despite the enforcement of movement controls in the city.
Bentong district police chief Supt Zaiham Mohd Kahar said a roadblock was mounted at the toll plaza to ensure motorists had the correct interstate travel documents, which caused traffic to build up.
He said police personnel manning the roadblock had to ensure the information in the documents matched the passenger information of each vehicle.
He added that the majority of motorists passing the roadblock comprised parents fetching their children from institutes of higher learning or hostels, as well as long-distance spouses and employees of companies allowed to travel by the International Trade and Industry Ministry.
In KOTA BARU, Kelantan police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Shafien Mamat said there was a surge of vehicle movements into the state since yesterday involving three main entry points, namely Gua Musang, Pasir Puteh and Jeli.
He said drivers of 75 vehicles were forced to turn back for not having interstate travel permits, adding that police would mount five more roadblocks in the state.