Paul Yong's rape trial begins at Ipoh High Court


IPOH: The rape trial of former Perak executive councillor Paul Yong Choo Kiong got under way on Monday (April 5), almost 20 months after he was charged with the crime.

Yong was charged on Aug 23,2019 with allegedly raping his Indonesian maid.

The case has been fixed for trial until April 9, and is being heard before High Court judge Abdul Wahab Mohamed.

Two police photographers were called in to testify in the morning.

In his opening statement, lead Deputy Public Prosecutor Datuk Jamil Aripin said the prosecution would prove that the rape took place by calling the medical expert who examined the victim.

He said a witness from the Indonesian embassy would also be called to testify that the victim called the embassy after the incident.

“Statements on sexual harassment before the rape took place, such as hugging, groping and molest, throughout the month of June 2019 will also be presented.

“The prosecution will also present oral statements and documentation to show that there was no one else at home during the incident, besides the accused and the victim, ” he added.

Earlier, Justice Abdul Wahab said he did not want to waste time since the case had been delayed many times.

“We will carry on with the other witnesses first, and will deal with issues pertaining to the two main witnesses when the time comes, ” he added.

Earlier, Yong’s counsel Datuk Rajpal Singh said the prosecution was still using the Witness Protection Act 2009 and Section 265 (A) of the Criminal Procedure Code, for the victim and the second witness, to which the defence team is objecting.

“The prosecution wants to withhold these two witnesses in the sense the defence lawyers and the accused cannot see them while they are giving evidence.

“So when the prosecution puts them up, and informs the court the Act is being used, we will object at that point, and a need may arise to file for a motion, ” he told reporters outside the courtroom.

On Aug 23,2019, Yong claimed trial at the Ipoh Sessions Court to raping his then 23-year-old maid.

The offence was allegedly committed in a room on the top floor of his house in Meru Desa Park on July 7 that year, between 8.15pm and 9.15pm.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In Nation

One of the workers injured in DASH scaffolding collapse dies
11 arrested to assist probe into Butterworth funeral procession
309 undocumented migrants nabbed in integrated ops
Jabs drive covering more ground
1,588,915 people fully vaccinated
Panel formed to look into reconvening of Parliament
PM: We’re on track to hit herd immunity
MOE to recruit 18,702 teachers
It’s part and parcel of the job, say delivery sisters
All sorts of appliances being sent to loved ones at quarantine centre

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers