3,520 foreign workers test positive after compulsory screening


PUTRAJAYA: A total of 3,520 foreign workers, out of 178,370 tested, were found to be positive for Covid-19 through compulsory screening imposed by the government.

Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the National Security Council special meeting was informed that as of Tuesday, 178,370 foreign workers involving 6,677 employers had been screened todate.

“From the number of foreign workers who had already been screened, 3,520 tested positive for Covid-19, ” he said in a statement yesterday.

The government had, since Jan 1, made it compulsory for employers in Selangor, Negri Sembilan, Penang, Sabah, Kuala Lumpur and Labuan to send their foreign workers for screening in an effort to stop the spread of Covid-19 at work places.

The government has also announced that enhanced movement control order will be enforced at Kg Orang Asli Batu 6, in Batang Padang, Perak beginning today.

Ismail Sabri said that since Jan 14, health authorities had carried out screen tests on those with symptoms and as of Jan 18, a total of 12 positive cases were reported at the locality.

“The health authorities also confirmed that 87 individuals who are close contacts are being quarantined.

“On the advice of the Health Ministry, the National Security Council special meeting has agreed to enforce enhanced MCO at Kg Orang Asli Batu 6, Batang Padang, Perak for 14 days until Feb 3, ” he said.

He also reported the activities of the taskforce monitoring SOP compliance, where police have arrested 752 individuals for various violations of standard operating procedures, including 277 people for not putting on face masks while in crowded public places.

Other offences include making interstate and district travel without permission (73), not practicing social distancing (128), failure of premises to record customers’ details (137) and operating beyond permitted hours (39).

On Ops Benteng, Ismail Sabri said that 57 illegal immigrants were arrested during the nationwide operations on Tuesday.

Ismail Sabri also reported that 558 individuals had returned to Malaysia on Tuesday and of the number, 517 were quarantined at government-designated stations.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

foreign workers , covid-19 , screening

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

100% readers found this article insightful

Next In Nation

Govt initiatives to address urban income disparity
Govt looking out for commodity players
Cities getting a lot hotter
Economic revival in the long term
‘Timely measures kept economy afloat’
Finance Ministry to continue helping those in need
Ahmad: GE15 may yield another ‘grand coalition’
All resolutions passed at Wanita MCA and MCA Youth AGMs
MACC denies being used as political weapon
‘Be proactive in engaging youth’

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers